For Immediate Release
Laguna Beach, CA – To help ring in the New Year, the Sawdust Art Festival, in collaboration with Laguna Beach Visitors & Conference Bureau, added some exciting new classes to the Sawdust Studio Art Classes’ schedule. The year-round art education program, which started last October, is now offering all-new special classes in glass, fused glass, jewelry and ceramics. The freshly updated Sawdust Studio Art Classes schedule is available online at www.sawdustarfestival.org/studio-classes. Some of the newly featured classes are as follows:
• “Glassblowing” with Sawdust Artists – Learn how to blow glass in just one two-hour session! Join one of our Sawdust Art Festival glassblowing artists in our famous Glass Hut, right here on the festival grounds. Students will experience what it's like to create a mini glass masterpiece using hot maleable glass straight from the kiln. Beginners welcome. Class fee includes all materials and instruction needed. Class limit of two students per class.
• “Ceramic Harbingers of Spring” with Ora Sterling – Ceramicist, Ora Sterling is offering a class that will teach you how to make clay birds, nests, and eggs. These can be used for indoor or outdoor purposes. This will be a fun class that will get you in the mood for all of the joys that spring can bring! The birds and eggs will be hand-formed from low fire clay and the bird nests will be extruded and formed over a mold.
• “Portrait Planters” with Jan Sattler – Participants will learn about the proportions and locations of facial features such as noses, eyes, mouth, etc. A simple drawing will be made of a face with correct proportions. Participants will roll out a clay slab to form a basic face shape with the top of the head open. This form will be molded over newspaper or plactic bags forms. The face form will be attached to a second clay slab that will then be cut out to form the back. Modeling of the features will take up most of the class time, creating a character face. Once dry, the planters will be bisque fired and mailed to the participants. They may be planted and hung on a wall or fence.
• “Fused Glass Pendant” with Cindy Stalnaker – Create an eye-catching sparkling dichroic glass pendant with Sawdust Artist Cindy Stalnaker. Learn the basics of glass-fusing and dichroic glass. You will have the opportunity to choose your glass colors, while learning cutting and layering techniques for fused glass. No experience necessary. Note that due to kiln-firing times, your pendant will be mailed to you the week after the class. If you need magnification glasses for close-up work, please remember to bring them.
• “Twist & Turn: Silver Wire Sculpture Earrings” with Lorraine Hornby – Let your imagination run wild to create a unique pair of earrings! Using a few simple hand tools, students will learn how to transform a length of wire into a work of art. Class also offers the option to add pearls and gems for extra dazzle.
• “Pendant Making” with Sarvi Hosseini – This pendant project is a fun one for beginners where you can learn some basic jewelry techniques using wire to form shapes that are the basis for the pendant. Stones may be wrapped to hang inside and be part of the finished pendant. Using copper or silver wire, students form the wire, file, hammer and texture, along with some wrapping techniques. The pendant then hangs from leather straps with which you creatively finish off this pendant project.
• “Fused Glass Origami Bowl” with Maggie Spencer – Design and construct a colorful and uniquely shaped “Origami Bowl.” This functional fused glass creation will be yours to use as a serving dish, or to display as your personal work of fine art! The "Origami" bowl is named for its unique shape. It is about 9" and is great for dips, salads, or just for display.
To celebrate the New Year, Sawdust Studio Art Classes are being offered at a 20% discount when you register, now through May 31. To redeem the 20% discount, enter SSAC20D into the Referral Code box when booking your class, or mention Sawdust News when calling in to book classes at 949-494-3030.
Sawdust Studio Art Classes are presented by Sawdust Art Festival, in cooperation with the Laguna Beach Visitors & Conference Bureau (LBVCB), every Friday and Saturday at 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. Each two-hour workshop allows students to design a specialized art piece, in just one two-hour session, to wear or to share.
About the Laguna Beach Visitors & Conference Bureau
Laguna Beach Visitors & Conference Bureau is located at 361 Forest Avenue, Suite 200 with its Visitors Center at 381 Forest Ave. in the Coast Sotheby's International Realty office. The Visitors Center is open daily, Monday - Sunday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Laguna Beach is Southern California’s premier seaside destination located midway between Los Angeles and San Diego and along the central coast of Orange County. Known as home to hundreds of local artists, and set amid 20,000 acres of wilderness, Laguna Beach is primarily served by Orange County Airport located just 20 minutes away. For more information, please visit www.lagunabeachinfo.com.
About the Sawdust Art Festival
The Sawdust Art Festival is located at 935 Laguna Canyon Road. The Sawdust Art Festival is a non-profit art organization dedicated to educating the public and promoting the art created in Laguna Beach. Two-hour Sawdust Studio Art Classes are offered every Friday and Saturday at 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. on the Sawdust Art Festival Grounds. To check out more details about the Sawdust Art Festival and other upcoming events and festivals, please navigate to www.sawdustartfestival.org or call 949-494-3030.
All-new Sawdust Studio Art Classes for the New Year