December 15, 2008
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
SAWDUST ART FESTIVAL PRESENTS “JANUARY JEWELRY”
(2009 January Jewelry weekend workshops are: January 10-11, 24-25, 31 & February 1)
Laguna Beach, Ca – The Sawdust Art Festival presents 2009 January Jewelry, two-day weekend workshops where students will have the chance to learn the fine art of jewelrymaking from Sawdust master jewelers. Workshops will be taught in small, intimate groups on the Sawdust grounds, and fees will include all instruction, supplies and refreshments. Workshops include:
• January 10-11 from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. (Surf the Flame with Linda Ames) – Embellish a beautiful pendant with your own glass beads. You will learn to use a torch, jeweler tools, glass and layering materials to make your own artistic beads. Students will experience plenty of torch time and leave with a finished pendant. $200 class fee includes all materials needed.
• January 10-11 from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. (Jewelry-making with Patti Jo) – Learn basic wire cutting, bending and wrapping, and some pearl and stone sorting and grading. Students may also have the opportunity to pound sheet metal and thick wire into basic forms. $200 class fee includes all materials needed.
• January 24-25 from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. (Jewelry-making with Hodel McRae) – This workshop will teach students all the basics in beadwork including stringing techniques, wire work and knotting. Students will be able to create various types of necklaces, bracelets and earrings from crush beads, bead tips and leather ends. Hodel will also instruct students on how to make slipknots and create head pins for earrings. This workshop is a great stepping-stone to more advanced jewelry work. Bring in any questions or jewelry that may need repair. $200 class fee includes all materials needed.
• January 24-25 from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. (Jewelry-making with David Nelson) – This workshop will teach students the basics of jewelry fabrication and stone setting. Students will be working with jeweler’s saw and bench pin, and learn simple techniques for rings, pendants and bracelets. David will also instruct on basic buffing and polishing. $200 class fee includes all materials needed.
• January 31-February 1 from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. (Jewelry-making with Marla Burns) – Take an introductory and intermediate level workshop in design technique
The Sawdust Art Festival is a non-profit organization dedicated to educating the public and
promoting the art created in Laguna Beach.