SAWDUST ART FESTIVAL CELEBRATES 5th ANNUAL GREEN DAY
(Sawdust’s 2012 Green Day takes place Saturday, July 21)
Laguna Beach, CA – Providing an interactive and educational “green” themed day for guests, the Sawdust Art Festival will celebrate its 5th Annual Green Day on Saturday, July 21. Sawdust artists, staff and local organizations will share simple ways of becoming more environmentally aware. Themed activities are planned for 10 am to 5:30 pm in various locations around the grounds. Educational “green” projects and classes, including the highlighted activities below, and all are complimentary with admission:
- Laguna Beach Garden Club Garden Exchange (10 am – 2 pm) – Bring in "slips" from your garden, and exchange for other plants to diversify your landscapes. Water-wise and succulent plants will be donated by the Laguna Beach Garden Club, a local organization founded over 80 years ago dedicated to promoting education in gardening, horticulture, landscape and floral design, conservation, ecology, and bird life. The club also supports environmental projects and civic beautification. Location: by clock tower near Main Entertainment Deck. All ages welcome.
- Nature Mosaics (10:30 am – 12:30 pm; 4:45 pm – 5:30 pm) – Create your own fun mosaic out of nature’s colorful harvest, including seeds, popcorn, beans, eucalyptus pods, rice. Location: Children’s Art Spot. Ages: 4+.
- Recycled T-shirt Scarf (10:30 am – 12:30 pm) – Bring in your large t-shirts to create a nifty scarf to accessorize your summer wardrobe. Sawdust artist Sheryl Eberhardt will instruct this fun class. Location: Studio One. Ages: 6 to adult.
- Wyland Foundation Ocean Conservation Mural (10:30 am – 3:30 pm) – Participate in this collaborative ocean mural project and support ocean preservation. Wyland Foundation artist Patti Romo will help guide visitors in painting a 5’ x 10’ mural. The Wyland Foundation is a non-profit organization founded in 1993 by environmental marine life artist Wyland, dedicated to promoting, protecting, and preserving the world’s oceans, waterways, and marine life. Location: by Main Entertainment Deck. All ages welcome.
- Save the Bugs! 4th Annual Contest (1 pm – 3:15 pm) – Using a wide variety of recycled materials, come create your own recycled “bug” and make a pledge to saving our earth’s wildlife. Bring your “bug” to the Main Entertainment Deck at 3:30 pm to enter our “Best Bug” contest. Location: Studio One, Ages: 6+, 1-3 pm; Location: Children’s Art Spot, Ages: 4-10, 1-3:15 pm.
- Creative Nature Recycling (3:30 pm – 5:30 pm) – Join instructor Roberto Romano and create a unique three-dimensional nature sculpture using leaves, twigs and seed pods. Location: Studio One. Ages: 6 to adult.
- Throw a Greenware Pot (10 am – 5:30 pm; 7-9 pm) – Visit our Ceramic Center and throw a greenware pot at the potter’s wheel.
To check out more details about the Sawdust Art Festival’s 46th annual summer season and calendar of events, please visit www.sawdustartfestival.org or call 949-494-3030. The Sawdust Art Festival is open 10-10 daily June 29 through September 2, and is located at 935 Laguna Canyon Road in Laguna Beach with free City trolley service to and from the Act V parking lot. Admission prices are: Adults $7.75, Seniors (65+) $6.25, Children (6-12) $3.25, Children (5 & under) Free; Summer Season Pass $15; Annual Pass $20.
The Sawdust Art Festival is a non-profit art organization dedicated to educating the public and promoting the art created in Laguna Beach.
The Sawdust Art Festival thanks its 2012 sponsors Honda, 104.3 MYfm, Hoegaarden and Kendall-Jackson.